Iran's foreign ministry spokesman said Sunday that his country had not received an official Egyptian response to Tehran's offer to re-establish full diplomatic relations.
Mohammad Ali Hosseini's comments came only days after Egypt's foreign minister said in a television interview that full relations would be possible if Iran took down memorials to the assassin of former Egyptian president Anwar Sadat.
But Hosseini said Sunday during his weekly press briefing, "We have not received any official response from the Egyptian side, yet."
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made the offer to re-establish ties with Egypt in a speech earlier in May, saying his country was ready to open its embassy in Cairo as soon as Egypt agreed to do the same in Tehran.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>