Iraqi police: US and Iraqi army kill 2 civilians in Sadr City raid

By
September 11, 2007 09:39

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

US and Iraqi forces killed two civilians during a joint raid early Tuesday on the Baghdad stronghold of a powerful Shi'ite militia, Iraqi police said. Six others were injured in the pre-dawn operation in Sadr City - home to 2.5 million of Baghdad's poorest residents as well the Mahdi Army, a militia loyal to anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr. Last month, al-Sadr called a temporary halt to the group's activities after deadly Shi'ite-on-Shi'ite violence in Karbala. At least two children were among the wounded, an Iraqi officer said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information. Ten people were arrested in the raid, which took place around 4 a.m., the officer said. Eight civilian cars were damaged, and several sheep and cattle were also killed in a yard fire ignited by gunfire, he added. The US military had no immediate comment on the incident.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

November 17, 2018
CIA believes Saudi crown prince ordered journalist's killing

By REUTERS