A concert in Jericho to support a two-state solution based on the pre-1967 lines has been called off after participants were threatened, the Palestinian organizer said Friday.
The event, which was scheduled for this Thursday at the same time as a concert in Tel Aviv, had been planned for the last year by the US-based OneVoice organization.
Canadian rock musician Bryan Adams was to have performed at both venues, along with Israeli artists at Tel Aviv's Hayarkon Park and Palestinian performers in Jericho. The Tel Aviv event will go ahead as scheduled.
"For security reasons we cannot have the concert at this time," said Nisreen Shahin, executive director of OneVoice Palestine.
Shahin said Palestinian participants had been threatened and that the political situation in the Palestinian territories was too unstable for such an event.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas issued a statement late Thursday emphasizing that his office had no connection to the concert.
Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat and his son were on the group's honorary board of advisers, Shahin said.
The Jericho event had drawn criticism from the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine terrorist organization for its attempt to normalize ties with Israel. A Palestinian Internet posting had threatened to "wipe out" OneVoice's Palestinian offices, a spokeswoman said.
The organization, which maintains offices in both Tel Aviv and Ramallah, has enlisted the support of nearly 600,000 Israelis and Palestinians - in about equal numbers - for a petition that calls for a peace agreement to be reached within a year based on a two-state solution and the pre-1967 lines, with a Palestinian capital in east Jerusalem.
Following the takeover of Gaza by Hamas this summer, the organization froze its signature drive in the Strip, enlisting Palestinian supporters primarily in the West Bank.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>