Jihadi group claims responsibility for Sinai attack

Ansar Bayt al-Maqdes say attack that killed an Israeli soldier, injured another was carried out in response to anti-Islam film.

By REUTERS
September 23, 2012 12:01
1 minute read.
IDF soldier Netanel Yahalomi is laid to rest

IDF soldier Netanel Yahalomi is laid to rest in Modi'in 370. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem/The Jerusalem Post)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

An Islamist terrorist group based in Egypt's Sinai has claimed responsibility for a cross-border attack that killed an Israeli soldier in the restive peninsula where jihadi groups have gained a foothold.

Three gunmen were also killed in Friday's attack, which the group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdes said was in response to the anti-Islam film that has sparked worldwide protests and violence. A second Israeli soldier was wounded in the attack.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


There have been at least four such cross-border raids in just over a year in the area where security lapsed after the uprising that overthrew Hosni Mubarak last year.

Egypt's army and police launched a security sweep after a raid that killed 16 Egyptian border guards in August.

In a statement on an Internet site often used by jihadi groups, Ansar Bayt al-Maqdes said it had named the operation as an "attack to discipline those insulting the beloved Prophet", a reference to the film that mocked Prophet Muhammad.

The group accused Jews of involvement in the film, but did not explain how. Though the film was made in the United States, Israel is often viewed by militants as a proxy agent for US policy in the region because it is a close ally of Washington.

CNN reported that Jewish groups denied some reported allegations that there was any Jewish backing for the film.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The US government has condemned the film and said it had no role in it, but said it could not act against the production because of its commitment to freedom of expression.

Many Muslims view any portrayal of the Prophet as blasphemous.

Ansar Bayt al-Maqdes, which means "supporters of the holy place", a reference to Jerusalem, pledged to carry out another operation, at an unspecified time, in revenge for what it said was the killing of a member in Sinai with the help of Israel.

It was not immediately clear what help it believed Israel had given in the death of Ibrahim Oweidah. Egyptian authorities had said his death in September was due to a landmine accident.

The group has previously claimed an attack on a pipeline delivering gas to Israel and rocket attacks targeting Israel.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A general view of the attack during the military parade in Ahvaz, Iran, 2018
September 22, 2018
Dozens killed in Iran terror attack, official blames US and Mossad

By REUTERS, SAMUEL THROPE