Jordan criticized for banning Palestinians entry

By
March 28, 2006 16:05

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A London-based rights group criticized Jordan Tuesday for banning entry to several dozen Palestinians who fled the violence in Baghdad to come to Jordan but ended up stuck in a no-man's land on the Jordan-Iraq border. Amnesty International said Jordan's ban breached the country's obligations under international law. "Jordan has an obligation not to reject individuals at its borders if they are fleeing a country where they risk persecution or where their life or freedom is at risk," it said in a statement. A total of 88 Palestinians, including women and children, fled Baghdad earlier this month amid reports of Killings and death threats to members of the community there. Jordan has said it would not take any refugees from Iraq, fearing another exodus to a country already burdened by the presence of Palestinians.

Related Content

People walk in front of banners with Egypt's President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi during preparations for
July 17, 2018
Egypt targets social media, journalists with new law

By REUTERS