LAF stops attack against peacekeepers

Seven people, including some foreigners, suspected of planning attacks against UNIFIL forces.

By
October 15, 2007 17:06
1 minute read.
UN UNIFIL observation post lebanon

UNIFIL 248 88. (photo credit: AP [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Lebanese military intelligence agents have detained seven people for alleged involvement in the preparation of attacks against UN peacekeepers in southern Lebanon, the army said in a statement Monday. The seven included some foreigners, but the statement did not give their nationalities or say whether they belonged to a specific organization. The statement said that the group planted a bomb near the southern city of Tyre aiming to target a UN patrol, but it did not explode due to a problem in the trigger. The detainees also allegedly admitted they planned to plant two bombs in the same area and detonate them within a short period "in order to cause maximum casualties among the forces," the statement said. The two bombs were confiscated, and the seven detainees were referred to judicial authorities, the army's statement said. There have been two major attacks against UN peacekeepers in southern Lebanon in recent months, killing six people. In August, Lebanese authorities arrested two Palestinians in connection with a roadside bombing that targeted UN peacekeepers on July 16. The bombing of a UN jeep in the southern village of Qassimiyeh caused damage but no casualties. No group has claimed responsibility for the Qassimiyeh attack or the June 24 blast that killed six Spanish peacekeepers in southern Lebanon. But in a July videotape, al-Qaida's deputy leader Ayman al-Zawahri blessed the first attack, fueling speculation that it was carried out by al-Qaida-linked militants. Thousands of UN peacekeepers were deployed in southern Lebanon last year along with 15,000 Lebanese troops following the Second Lebanon War between Israel and Hizbullah.

Related Content

August 17, 2018
Yazidi leader killed in air strike by Turkey four years after genocide

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN