The Lebanese prime minister now has said only one person died in an Israeli air raid on the southern village of Houla, after telling Arab foreign ministers on Monday that many more Lebanese had died.
Saniora had previously claimed that more than 40 people were killed in the strike. Local TV stations had also reported that the same number of people were buried under the rubble of houses that collapsed after being targeted by Israeli airstrikes.
Shortly after the event, there had been no confirmation of the death toll from security officials, but witnesses said the airstrike flattened five multi-story homes in a tribal compound.
The IDF said it was checking the claims about Houla but repeated that the number of dead could not immediately be verified. The death toll of an IDF attack last week on Kfar Kana was reduced days after the strike from 57 to 28.
Furthermore, the army had repeatedly warned residents in villages in southern Lebanon to leave.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>