Lebanese army files terrorism charges against militants

Charges files against 20 suspected members of Fatah Islam, which has been fighting against army.

By
May 30, 2007 16:52
1 minute read.
Lebanese army files terrorism charges against militants

Lebanon Army 298 88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A Lebanese military magistrate filed terrorism charges Wednesday against 20 suspected members of the militant Fatah Islam group that has been fighting Lebanese troops in northern Lebanon, court officials said. The militants, who include 18 Lebanese, a Syrian and a naturalized Lebanese, are all in the custody of the Lebanese authorities, officials said. It was not known how or when they were arrested. Fatah Islam members have been fighting Lebanese troops since May 20 in the Palestinian refugee camp of Nahr al-Bared, near the northern city of Tripoli. Several Fatah Islam suspects have been arrested in army raids on apartments in Tripoli in the past two weeks. The suspects charged were not identified by name. It was not clear whether they included any of the militants detained in the Tripoli raids. The officials said the charges include carrying out acts of terrorism that "resulted in the killing of a number of soldiers and civilians." The charges also include forming a "gang with the aim of committing crimes against the people" and "undermining state authority and attacking civilian and military institutions," said the officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media. If convicted, the militants could be sentenced to death, the officials said. The suspects were referred to military authorities because they attacked and killed Lebanese troops. Under Lebanese law, filing charges is the first step that precedes the referral of the accused to a military prosecutor who then investigates the case. The prosecutor then either releases the suspects or raises official charges and the case goes to a military court for trial. The clashes in the north have so far left 31 Lebanese soldiers and 20 civilians dead. About 60 militants also have been killed. Nearly 25,000 Palestinians have fled the camp but several thousands have remained inside.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
October 20, 2018
Trump comments after Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi died in consulate

By REUTERS/AZIZ EL YAAKOUBI/JEFF MASON/YARA BAYOUMY