Lebanon says it will avert confrontation with armed Palestinians

Pro-Syrian gunmen involved in three-day standoff along mountainous Lebanese-Syrian border.

By
October 27, 2005 12:57
3 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Lebanese authorities said Friday they will avert a military confrontation with pro-Syrian Palestinian gunmen involved in a three-day standoff along the mountainous Lebanese-Syrian border. "The army's weapons will not be used in the interior against anyone," Defense Minister Elias Murr told reporters. "It is to protect the country and to fight troublemakers and those who try to undermine the country's security." Murr spoke after a meeting of top military and security officials chaired by Prime Minister Fuad Saniora. The talks were aimed at finding a solution to the Lebanese military's standoff with Palestinian militants, which began Wednesday. Hundreds of Lebanese troops took up positions around two Palestinian militant bases after Tuesday's killing of a Lebanese contractor near the Syrian border. Soldiers have also being trying to prevent militants and smugglers entering Lebanon. Lebanese troops reinforced positions around the base of the pro-Syrian Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command in Sultan Yacoub, a village about 5 kilometers (3 miles) from the border, villagers said Friday. The army also erected a new checkpoint about 500 meters (yards) from the PFLP-GC base, searching cars and pedestrians for weapons. A security official in Sultan Yacoub, speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not permitted to speak to the press, said the Lebanese army let the village mayor send food and bread to the militant base. In nearby Helweh where the contractor was killed, several hundred troops tightened control over roads leading to the base of the Fatah Uprising group to stop militants or weapons entering, villagers said. Lebanese authorities blame militants from the group for the killing, but the group denies the claim. Both Palestinian groups, which have long been based in Lebanon and supported by Syria, warned Lebanon about escalating tensions. The tense standoff demonstrates Lebanon's desire to take the lead in disarming Palestinian militant groups operating outside 12 refugee camps dotted around this country. But its tougher line with Palestinian militants has increased regional anxieties, particularly as Syria is under pressure to cooperate further with a UN probe into the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri. Lebanese authorities are trying to regulate weapons in such camps, where Lebanon has no jurisdiction. But the process is expected to take place through dialogue and not force. The UN envoy to Lebanon and Syria, Terje Roed-Larsen, said in a report to the Security Council this week that Lebanon has made no significant progress in disbanding militias in line with last year's UN resolution, partly because more weapons are coming into their possession from Syria.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The aftermath of an Iranian ballistic missile strike on the Koya headquarters of the KDP-I Iranian o
November 15, 2018
Senior IRGC commander: Israeli agent killed in September strikes on Kurds

By ANNA AHRONHEIM