Libya: Gaddafi forces storm Misrata, rebels offer truce

Insurgents marshal defenses in eastern heartland; rebel leader offers ceasefire on condition Gaddafi leaves Libya, forces withdraw.

By REUTERS
April 1, 2011 16:26
1 minute read.
A rebel fighter stands next a vehicle in Libya

Libya rebel 311 Reuters. (photo credit: REUTERS/Andrew Winning)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

TRIPOLI/AJDABIYAH, Libya - Muammar Gaddafi's forces stormed the western rebel outpost of Misrata with tanks and artillery on Friday, a rebel spokesman said, while insurgents marshalled defenses in their eastern heartland.

A rebel leader speaking after talks with a UN envoy in Benghazi offered a ceasefire on condition Gaddafi left Libya and his forces withdrew from cities now under government control. It was unclear if the offer was part of broader diplomatic moves to end a conflict that appears deadlocked on the military front.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
More than 400 rebel supporters missing in east Libya
Guest Columnist: Of sermons and strategies

Rebels speaking from Misrata said Gaddafi's forces had brought their superior firepower to bear on the insurgents' last western enclave with an intense bombardment.

"They used tanks, rocket-propelled grenades, mortar rounds and other projectiles to hit the city today. It was random and very intense bombardment," the spokesman, called Sami, told Reuters by telephone. "We no longer recognize the place. The destruction cannot be described."

"The pro-Gaddafi soldiers who made it inside the city through Tripoli Street are pillaging the place, the shops, even homes, and destroying everything in the process."

Click for full Jpost coverage of turmoil in the Middle East

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


"They are targeting everyone, including civilians' homes. I don't know what to say, may Allah help us," he said.

The account from Misrata, Libya's third biggest city 200 km (130 miles) east of Tripoli, could not be verified. Authorities do not allow journalists to report freely from the city.

A doctor in Misrata told Reuters in an email that the 32nd Brigade, one of the best-equipped and trained units, had been sent early on Friday to seize control of the city.

"So the question is where is the international community?" the doctor said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Khashoggie Saudi Arabian Consulate
October 23, 2018
Report: Murdered journalist's remains found in Saudi consul's garden

By ZACHARY KEYSER