Moscow: Hope, but no breakthrough so far in nuclear talks with Iran

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov expressed optimism that a deal could be reached by the deadline.

By
November 13, 2014 01:46
2 minute read.
Iran nuclear talks in Oman

From left: Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, EU envoy Catherine Ashton, Omani Foreign Minister Yussef bin Alawi and US Secretary of State John Kerry. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON – “Deep gaps” remain between world powers and Iran over its nuclear program, a Russian official said on Wednesday, as negotiations intensified toward a November 24 deadline.

But speaking from Muscat, Oman, where the negotiators have converged for several days after basing their talks in Vienna, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov expressed optimism that a deal could be reached by the deadline.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“We aren’t looking at the possibility of not reaching a deal by November 24,” Ryabkov, who was present at the latest talks in Muscat this week, said on Wednesday.

“We are focused completely on the task before us, in so far as we have a chance, and it’s not small. We can’t miss [the opportunity].”

But Ryabkov’s optimism came as Tehran confirmed the government had tested a new centrifuge that could speed uranium enrichment, fueling the infrastructure with gas, in possible violation of an international agreement.

Ten months ago, Iran and the P5+1 – the United States, United Kingdom, France, Russia, China and Germany – agreed to a short-term deal that has effectively frozen the long-standing crisis.

That deal, the Joint Plan of Action, grants the parties a year to negotiate.



That deal allowed Iran to continue its “current enrichment R&D [research and development] practices.”

One US think tank closely following enforcement of the JPOA, the Institute for Science and International Security, said in a report this week that the joint plan’s language implies Iran cannot expand those practices.

The report strongly suggested Iran is in violation of the agreement.

But Iranian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Arkham dismissed suggestions the move may have breached last year’s interim deal with world powers.

The IR-5 – a significant upgrade from the models currently in use across Iran – was among ordinary machines belonging to Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, Arkham said.

“Such tests were conducted before the Geneva agreement and have continued after the deal was reached,” she said late on Tuesday.

“Testing on the machines will be carried out and stopped depending on the need.”

Meanwhile, President Barack Obama formally continued the emergency status of relations with Iran on Wednesday, despite increased communications between the two governments.

“Because our relations with Iran have not yet returned to normal,” the president wrote in his notice to Congress, “and the process of implementing the agreements with Iran, dated January 19, 1981, is still under way, I have determined that it is necessary to continue the national emergency declared in Executive Order 12170 with respect to Iran.”

Reuters contributed to this report.

Related Content

Muslim pilgrims circle the Kaaba and pray at the Grand mosque ahead of annual Haj pilgrimage in the
August 20, 2018
Muslims at hajj blame Arab disunity for Jerusalem embassy move

By REUTERS