Mubarak blames Israel for breakdown in peace talks

Egyptian president tells his parliament that US, other brokers should "assume responsibility"; warns Israel its security hinges on peace.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS, JPOST.COM STAFF
December 19, 2010 14:36
1 minute read.
Abbas and Mubarak in Cairo

Abbas and Mubarak 311 AP. (photo credit: AP)

CAIRO — Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak blamed Israel for the stalemate in peace negotiations with the Palestinians on Sunday.

He warned Israel that its security hinges on peace rather than "occupation" or force.

RELATED:
Abbas: We wanted to negotiate with Olmert during Cast Lead
Mitchell: US intends to pursue 'substantive' peace talks

Addressing a joint session of the Egyptian parliament's two chambers on Sunday, Mubarak also called on the United States and other Mideast peace brokers to "assume their responsibility" to break the stalemate in the peace process.

Last week, US Mideast envoy George Mitchell said that he intends to pursue "substantive" negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians, following a meeting with Mubarak in Cairo, AFP reported.

"In the days ahead, our discussions with both sides will be substantive, two way conversations with an eye towards making real progress in the next few months on the key questions of an eventual framework agreement," Mitchell was quoted as saying.

He said that US aims to "pursue a framework agreement that would establish the fundamental compromises on all permanent status issues... [to] pave the way for a final peace treaty."


Related Content

Benjamin Netanyahu announces that if reelected, he will extend Israeli sovereignty over the Jordan V
September 16, 2019
Oman rejects Netanyahu's promise to annex the West Bank

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF