Mubarak speaks up, vows to fight corruption allegations

Deposed Egyptian president breaks 2-month silence, says "unfounded allegations seek to harm my reputation and integrity."

By REUTERS
April 10, 2011 17:21
1 minute read.
Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak

Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak 311 Reu. (photo credit: Reuters TV / Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, breaking a two-month silence, said on Sunday that accusations of corruption against his family were lies and he had the right to defend his reputation.

In his first public comments since being ousted from power on Feb. 11, Mubarak said information sent to Egypt's public prosecutor would show he owns no financial assets or real estate abroad.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Two protesters reportedly killed in Egypt's Tahrir Square
Protesters in Tahrir Square pile pressure on army

Details of bank accounts owned by his sons Alaa and Gamal would disprove any suspicions of profiteering and illegal gains.

"I will uphold all my legal rights to defend my reputation as well as that of my family both at home and abroad," Mubarak said in a recorded statement carried by Al Arabiya TV.

"I have been, and still am, pained by what I and my family are facing from fraudulent campaigns and unfounded allegations that seek to harm my reputation, my integrity and my military and political record."

He said he only had assets and bank accounts in one Egyptian bank, as he had previously disclosed.

Reformers who drove the mass street protests that ousted the autocratic leader of three decades have demanded tougher steps to recover assets they say he and others took from the state.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Since he left office, Mubarak, 82, and his family have stayed in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh and Egyptian officials have denied reports and rumors that he is very ill.

Mubarak said "lies" carried by local and foreign media that he and his family own extensive real estate holdings abroad would be disproved.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

File: Jordan's King Abdullah II greets Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu at the White House in Washin
October 22, 2018
Is Israel’s position in region as secure as it looks?

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN