Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt: We won't take over gov't

Representatives of the movement say they won't have a presidential candidate; 3 killed, 100 wounded in southern Egypt riots.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 9, 2011 15:53
1 minute read.
Muslim Brotherhood leaders

Muslim Brotherhood press conference 311 AP. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Representatives of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt said they do not want to take over but merely want to be a part of government, CNN reported Wednesday.

"The Muslim Brotherhood is not seeking power," an official said speaking at a press conference. "We will not have a presidential candidate, we want to participate and help, we are not seeking power," according to the report.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
The Muslim Brothers' deceptive pragmatism
Muslim Brotherhood text reveals scope of radical creed
Clinton tentatively welcomes Muslim Brotherhood


In a move intended to distance the movement from allegations that it is an extremist group, former head of the Muslim Brotherhood's parliamentary bloc, Mohammed Katatny, said: "We reject the religious state."

"We are not responsible for the speeches and statements of external forces." Katatny added, "The regime has been using the Muslim Brotherhood scarecrow to tell the world that the regime is the only one who can safeguard the country, but this is wrong and it is their way to try to ignore the people's demands," CNN reported.

Last week, the Brotherhood participated, along side other opposition groups, in official talks with Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman as part of a national dialogue.

Despite warnings sounded from various world leaders, including the current Egyptian leadership, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton tentatively welcomed the group's participation in the negotiations over Egypt's future.



Meanwhile, three people were killed and 100 were wounded in the town of El Khargo in southern Egypt, 400 kilometers (240 miles) south of Cairo in two days of clashes between police and political demonstrators, AFP reported on Wednesday.

According to the report, local police began firing live rounds when a crowd assembled in the oasis town, located in Egypt's New Valley region, began rioting.

The mob responded by setting seven official buildings on fire including the local headquarters of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's ruling National Democratic Party.

Associated Press contributed to this report.

Click here for full Jpost coverage of unrest in Egypt

Related Content

July 19, 2018
Sources close to Netanyahu: Trump knew the Iran nuclear deal was bad

By HERB KEINON, MICHAEL WILNER