NATO jets strike inside Gaddafi compound

Libya official says Gaddafi used building for ministerial meetings; Rebel spokesman: Gaddafi forces retreating from Misrata after 2 month siege.

By REUTERS
April 25, 2011 04:28
1 minute read.
An MQ-1 Predator unmanned aircraft in Iraq.

Armed UAV predator drone 311. (photo credit: Courtesy of US Air Force)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A NATO air strike flattened a building inside Muammar Gaddafi's Bab al-Aziziyah compound early on Monday, in what a press official from Gaddafi's government said was an attempt on the Libyan leader's life.

Firefighters were still working to extinguish flames in a part of the wrecked building when journalists were brought on a government-organized trip to the scene, a few hours after three loud explosions shook central Tripoli.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
NATO strikes near Gaddafi compound, Libya says 3 dead
US sends drones to Libya as battle rages
Ban urges Libya authorities to stop killing, seek ceasefire

The press official, who asked not to be identified, said Gaddafi used the destroyed building for ministerial and other meetings. She said 45 people were injured, including 15 who were seriously hurt, and some were still unaccounted for after the attack.

On Sunday, the western Libyan city of Misrata came under heavy bombardment by forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi, a rebel spokesman said.

Government forces had retreated in the coastal city of Misrata after a siege of nearly two months and rebels fighting to overthrow Gaddafi had claimed victory there on Saturday

"The situation is very dangerous," rebel spokesman Abdelsalam said by telephone from Misrata.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


"Gaddafi's brigades started random bombardment in the early hours of this morning. The bombardment is still going on. They targeted the city center, mainly Tripoli Street, and three residential areas."

Click for full Jpost coverage of 

turmoil in the Middle East


He gave no indication of casualties in the bombardment. Hundreds of civilians have been killed in the fighting for Misrata.

The rebel spokesman said that NATO planes, which have been bombing Libyan positions for more than a month, had been seen flying over Misrata but there was no sign of air strikes.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

File: Jordan's King Abdullah II greets Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu at the White House in Washin
October 22, 2018
Is Israel’s position in region as secure as it looks?

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN