PMO denies Israel weighing Hamas truce

Defense officials: Proposal limited to halt in rocket attacks from Gaza; 'Pal Press': Mashaal behind offer.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, AP
December 20, 2007 19:41
1 minute read.
PMO denies Israel weighing Hamas truce

mashaal 224. (photo credit: AP [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Prime Minister's Office denied late Thursday night that Israel was considering a Hamas ceasefire proposal, Israel radio reported. Earlier, defense officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, had said that Israel was considering a ceasefire, whereby Hamas would stop the rocket fire from Gaza in exchange for a halt in IDF operations in the Strip. They said Hamas gave assurances it could impose the truce on the militant groups that are firing the rockets - Islamic Jihad and the Popular Resistance Committees. There was no immediate comment from the Egyptian government. Meanwhile, Hamas admitted that it had fired three Kassam rockets at an IDF post on the Gaza border. It marks the first time in five months the group has fired a rocket, although Israel estimates that it has assisted other groups in their attacks. Also Thursday, the Palestinian Pal Press agency quoted "informed Arab sources" as saying that Hamas's Damascus-based leader Khaled Mashaal and Hamas headquarters in Syria were behind the telephone call from Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh to a Channel 2 reporter during which the Hamas leader reportedly offered Israel the "hudna." According to the report, Mashaal instructed Haniyeh to call the reporter and convey to the Israeli government the message that Hamas was interested in negotiating a ceasefire. Mashaal also reportedly demanded that Haniyeh's forces maintain quiet along the border with Israel. Israel and Hamas have engaged in dialogue in the past "via indirect tracks," according to the sources quoted by the report. For instance, they said, the two sides had negotiated the departure of pilgrims from amongst the ranks of Hamas to the haj in Saudi Arabia. "Israel allowed the people through, but rejected a number of other names, including senior Islamic Jihad [activist] al-Hindi, and Majed Harazin, who was assassinated in Gaza two days ago," the sources said. Responding to Haniyeh's offer Wednesday, Transportation Minister Shaul Mofaz said in media interviews that Israel had already engaged in contacts with Hamas through mediators on issues such as the efforts to bring home kidnapped soldier Gilad Schalit, so there was no reason not to do the same to end the rocket attacks. Gil Hoffman and Herb Keinon contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

An Iranian Officer of Revolutionary Guards with Israel flag drawn on his boots
September 24, 2018
Iran warns Israel and U.S. to expect a "devastating" revenge

By REUTERS, JPOST.COM STAFF