PMO denies reports PM denounced Egypt firings

PM’s office quashes Egyptian media reports on Netanyahu’s alleged reactions to recent Cairo events.

By
August 14, 2012 03:48
1 minute read.
Netanyahu and Barak in Sinai after attack.

Netanyahu and Barak in Sinai 390. (photo credit: Avi Ohayon/GPO)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Israel’s official silence Monday on the sacking of the military leadership in Egypt the day before did not keep the Egyptian media from quoting Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu as saying that the forced ouster of defense minister Mohamed Hussein Tantawi was worse than the fall of Hosni Mubarak.

The media, in both traditional outlets and on the ever-present Egyptian Twitter feeds, also quoted anonymous sources as saying that Netanyahu had already “despaired” of President Mohamed Morsy.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Concerned that if left unchallenged, these reports would take on a life of their own in Egypt, Ofir Gendelman – Netanyahu’s Arabic media spokesman – tweeted that “the reports in the Egyptian media about an alleged Israeli position on the latest events in Egypt are completely and utterly baseless.”

Israel, Gendelman wrote, “does not interfere in Egyptian internal affairs.”

Indeed, officials in both the Prime Minister’s Office and the Foreign Ministry refused any comment Monday on the situation in Egypt, adhering to a policy that has been in place for quite some time regarding the events there – that anything Israel says about the internal situation would only be used against it.

Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman was the only senior official to publicly say anything about the situation.

Speaking in the Druse village of Maghar in the Upper Galilee, where he was participating in the send-off ceremony for Druse Prof. Naim Araidi, who in September will be taking up his position as Israel’s ambassador to Norway, Liberman said, “I hope that in Egypt we will see the same understanding for cooperation between Israel and Egypt. This is no less an Egyptian interest than an Israeli one.”



Liberman said the “terrorist kingdom” that developed in Sinai over the years was “first and foremost harming Egyptian national security interests, no less than harming Israel’s security.”

Israel was willing to work out numerous issues with Cairo through “mutual respect” and “honoring all agreements,” he said.

Related Content

August 17, 2018
German Jewish council urges end of Iran-Germany trade

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL