Palestinians return to refugee camp in northern Lebanon

100 families who fled during clashes between army and Islamic militants allowed to enter Nahr el-Bared.

By
October 10, 2007 16:42
1 minute read.
Palestinians return to refugee camp in northern Lebanon

palestinian 224.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Some 100 Palestinian families returned to a devastated refugee camp in northern Lebanon on Wednesday, the first individuals allowed back months after they fled fighting between the army and Islamic militants. Lebanese troops defeated the al-Qaida-inspired Fatah Islam group on Sept. 2, more than three months after clashes began, but authorities had held off on allowing the more than 30,000 refugees who lived in Nahr el-Bared camp to return as they cleared the area of explosives. The families that returned Wednesday had been living in the nearby Beddawi refugee camp, which became a sanctuary for former residents of Nahr el-Bared after the fighting erupted. Army troops set up checkpoints at the camp's eastern entrance where they verified the names of individuals moving back and searched their cars and bodies for weapons. The army search enraged Hannan Raed Akel, 35, who was waiting with her husband and three children in a pickup truck loaded with mattresses, canned food and personal belongings. "Why didn't they search Fatah Islam men when they first entered Nahr el-Bared?" she screamed. The 100 families are the first batch of about 800 that will be allowed to return to a section of Nahr el-Bared known as the "new camp" at a rate of 100 families per day, said Palestinian and Lebanese military officials. Eventually, some 2,000 families will be permitted to return to the camp, Sheik Mohammed al-Haj of the Palestinian Scholars' Association told The Associated Press while overseeing the repatriation process. Large parts of Nahr el-Bared, located on the outskirts of the northern port city of Tripoli, were destroyed by tank and artillery bombardment during the fighting. The government has promised to rebuild the camp, but reconstruction has not yet started. Akel said she had been notified by relatives that her house in the camp was so badly damaged that she won't be able to live there. "I am happy with the return but sad because I can't live in my house," she said. More than 200 Fatah Islam militants of various nationalities, 168 soldiers and some 40 civilians were killed in clashes that started May 20 and became the worst internal fighting Lebanon had witnessed since the 1975-90 civil war.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The aftermath of an Iranian ballistic missile strike on the Koya headquarters of the KDP-I Iranian o
November 15, 2018
Senior IRGC commander: Israeli agent killed in September strikes on Kurds

By ANNA AHRONHEIM