Pope gunman warns Benedict not to visit Turkey

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 20, 2006 23:53

The man who shot Pope John Paul II in 1981 has warned Pope Benedict XVI, whose remarks enraged Muslims last week, not to visit predominantly Muslim Turkey in November, saying the pontiff's life could be in danger, the gunman's lawyer told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "As a man who knows these things, I am saying that your life is in danger, don't come to Turkey. I can't welcome you because I'm in prison," lawyer Mustafa Demirbag quoted Mehmet Ali Agca as saying during a meeting at the high-security Kartal prison in Istanbul on Monday. Benedict XVI said Wednesday that he has "deep respect" for Islam but did not offer an apology as demanded by some Muslim leaders offended by the pontiff's remarks in Germany last week.


Related Content

June 21, 2018
UNESCO to defer Jerusalem, Hebron controversies in Bahrain meeting

By TOVAH LAZAROFF