Prodi rejects Abbas request for int'l force

By
July 10, 2007 15:15

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas met Tuesday with Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi and renewed a request to deploy an international force in Gaza, but Prodi suggested in a joint news conference that the time was not ripe for such a deployment. Hamas spokesman Salah Bardawil said his group would not accept such a contingent. "We would consider it an occupation force," Bardawil said. Prodi expressed his support for Abbas and said Italy was prepared to to funnel additional aid to the Palestinians. "This is the time to give Palestinians hope," Prodi said. "We don't think humanitarian support is enough," Prodi said. Abbas reiterated that he would only engage in dialogue with Hamas if the group reversed last month's violent takeover of Gaza and apologized to the Palestinian people. Hamas was unlikely to meet such demands.

Related Content

Mohammad Javad Zarif
August 19, 2018
Iran says U.S. 'action group' will fail to overthrow state

By REUTERS