'S. Korean officer committed suicide in Iraq'

By
June 4, 2007 11:20

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A South Korean army officer found dead in Iraq last month is believed to have killed himself due to pressures from work, the Defense Ministry said Monday. The 27-year-old officer, 1st Lt. Oh Jong-soo, was found dead May 19 with a gunshot wound under his jaw in a barber shop at his unit in the northern Iraqi city of Irbil. Oh was among about 1,200 South Korean troops deployed in Iraq on a reconstruction mission. The death was believed to be a suicide because Oh's rifle and an ammunition cartridge were found nearby, and there were no signs of an attack. Oh's body was flown home and an autopsy was performed to determine the cause of death. "We found no evidence that indicates he was murdered," the ministry said in a statement. Oh is believed to have shot himself, the ministry said, adding his fingerprints were found on the rifle and the broken seal of the cartridge, and traces of gunpowder were detected on the palm of his right hand.

Related Content

An Afghan boy is seen inside a burnt building after a Taliban attack in Ghazni city, Afghanistan Aug
August 21, 2018
Taliban reject Afghan ceasefire, kidnap nearly 200 bus passengers

By REUTERS