Saddam hospitalized due to hunger strike

Saddam refused food since July 7; Al-Moussawi: Ex-president's health is "unstable."

By
July 23, 2006 15:53
saddamtrial 298 88

saddamtrial 298 88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Saddam Hussein was hospitalized Sunday on the 17th day of a hunger strike, the chief prosecutor in his trial said. Jaafar al-Moussawi said he visited the prison Sunday where Saddam and the seven other co-defendants were being held and was told that the ex-president's health "is unstable because of the hunger strike." "We took him to the hospital and he is being currently fed by a tube," al-Moussawi told The Associated Press. He refused to identify the hospital. Asked if Saddam's health had improved, al-Moussawi replied: "No, it is not stable yet." Saddam and three others - presumed to be co-defendants Barzan Ibrahim, Taha Yassin Ramadan and Awad al-Bandaron - had been refusing food since dinner on July 7 to protest the Iraqi High Tribunal procedures and security for their defense attorneys, three of whom have been slain. The action was launched after the June 21 slaying of Khamis al-Obeidi, the third member of the team to be assassinated since the trial began last October. The defense team has blamed Shi'ite militiamen for al-Obeidi's death.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Iranians shout slogans during a protest in Tehran, Iran, against President Donald Trump
November 20, 2018
Ex-CIA Director Hayden to 'Post': Iran looking to outlast Donald Trump

By YONAH JEREMY BOB