Saleh: I will not allow Yemen to become 'another Somalia'

38 killed in Sana'a clashes; Yemeni president says country will not be dragged into civil war, blames Ahmar family for violence.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
May 25, 2011 11:17
1 minute read.
Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh 311 Reu. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Yemen's entrenched President Ali Abdullah Saleh said on Wednesday he would not allow his country to be dragged into civil war despite clashes with the leader of a powerful tribal confederation who has sided with protesters seeking his ouster.

"Yemen, I hope, will not be a failed state or another Somalia. The people are still keen for a peaceful transition of power," he told Reuters in an interview on Wednesday.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Yemen's Saleh due to finally sign deal to step down
Yemen unrest reaches 100-day milestone

"What happened was a provocative act to drag us into civil war, but it is limited to the Ahmar sons. They bear responsibility for shedding the blood of innocent civilians. Until this second, they are attacking the interior ministry. But we don't want to widen the confrontation," Saleh told selected media, referring to Sheikh Sadeq Al-Ahmar's family who has long been opposed to government of South Yemen and was allegedly leading recent clashes.

Despite Saleh's pledge that "violence will be eliminated and the economy will be rebuilt," clashes on Wednesday saw at least 38 deaths in violent clashes between rebels associated with Sheikh Ahamar and government forces in the northern area of Sana'a, Arabic-language news channel Al-Arabiya reported.

A medical source said 24 rebels had been killed and dozens more injured, while the Interior Ministry told news agencies that 14 soldiers had been killed in the clashes, and that two others were missing.

Click for full Jpost coverage of 
turmoil in the Middle East

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


International pressure has urged Saleh to step down, with Britain's Foreign Secretary William Hague continued the call on Wednesday, saying the Yemeni president should sign a transition of power deal "as soon as possible".

Saleh has pledged that he would be willing sign such a deal within the framework of dialogue, but said he was not willing to allow those that threaten national security take control.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Protest ISIS UK
September 24, 2018
ISIS video claims attack on Iran, Iran still blames US

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN