Officials say San Bernardino killer was planning attack in 2012

Syed Farook and an unnamed accomplice reportedly "got spooked" and did not go through with their attack plans.

By REUTERS
December 9, 2015 04:36
1 minute read.
Police vehicles line the street around a vehicle

Police vehicles line the street around a vehicle in which two suspects were shot following a mass shooting in San Bernardino, California. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Investigators believe San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook may have been plotting an earlier attack in California with someone else, CNN reported on Tuesday, citing two US officials.

One of the officials told CNN the two conspired in 2012 and a specific target was considered. Neither of the officials could say how serious the plotting became.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


According to the report, one official said the two decided not to go through with the earlier attack after a round of terror-related arrests in the area. "They got spooked," the official said.

CNN did not give the name of the other plotter.

Police believe Farook, an environmental inspector with the county health department, carried out the December 2 shooting, which left 14 people dead and 21 injured, at a holiday party for the department at the Inland Regional Center, a facility that provides services for thousands of people with disabilities.

Farook’s wife, Tashfeen Malik, participated in the shooting and had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State in a Facebook post, police say. Both Malik and Farook were killed in a shootout with police.

Thalasinos’ Facebook page is also filled with postings supportive of Israel and highly critical of Islam and President Barack Obama.



Investigators found on Thursday that Farook had previously been in contact over the phone and online with individuals in the US and Europe who were on the FBI and intelligence sources’ terror watch list or who have been previously investigated for terrorist affiliations.


Related Content

August 21, 2018
Iran unveils fourth-generation fighter jet

By ANNA AHRONHEIM