Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora claimed on Monday that more than 40 people were killed Monday in an Israeli attack on the border village of Houla.
Local TV stations had reported that about 40 people were buried under the rubble of houses that collapsed after being targeted by Israeli airstrikes.
There was no confirmation of the death toll from security officials, but witnesses said the airstrike flattened five multi-story homes in a tribal compound.
The Israel army said it is checking the claims about Houla but repeated that residents in villages in southern Lebanon had been warned to leave.
The number of dead could not immediately be verified. The death toll of an IDF attack last week on Kfar Kana was reduced days after the strike from 57 to 28.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>