Saniora: No progress made so far on cease-fire

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 9, 2006 15:04

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora said Wednesday that no progress had been made to end four weeks of fighting, adding that he did not expect United Nations action in the next two days. Saniora told reporters there were contacts on several fronts to end the violence but "there is nothing new so far." Asked if he expects the UN Security Council to issue a resolution on Wednesday, he said "I don't expect a resolution will be issued today or tomorrow." He was speaking after meeting with US Assistant Secretary of State David Welch "There are major points that are pending, and the meetings that the Arab delegation is conducting in New York achieved its goals so far," Saniora said. The Arab League team is pushing to amend a US-French draft resolution to end the Israel-Hezbollah conflict that began on July 12. The Lebanese and their Arab backers are demanding that Israel withdraw its forces from southern Lebanon immediately after a cease-fire agreement is reached.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Human rights activists and friends of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi hold his pictures during a pr
October 20, 2018
Amnesty condemns Saudi 'whitewash' in Khashoggi case, calls for autopsy

By REUTERS