Saudi king slams veto of Syria UN resolution

King Abdullah calls Russian, Chinese veto of UN Security Council resolution on Syria "unfavorable."

By REUTERS
February 10, 2012 15:21
Saudi King Abdullah.

Saudi King Abdullah 390. (photo credit: Reuters/Saudi Press Agency)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

DUBAI - Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah on Friday slammed the Russian and Chinese veto of a UN resolution on Syria as an "unfavorable" move.

"There is no doubt that the confidence of the world in the United Nations has been shaken," he said in a broadcast on Saudi state TV.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"Unfortunately, what happened in the UN, in my opinion, is an unfavorable initiative," King Abdullah said.

Arab foreign ministers will discuss a proposal next week to send a joint UN-Arab mission to Syria, a senior Arab League official said on Thursday, after a solely Arab team failed to end President Bashar Assad's crackdown on protests.

Saudi Arabia and five other Gulf Arab states, as well as Jordan and Morocco, pulled their observers out last month after the mission failed to halt bloodshed.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Iranians shout slogans during a protest in Tehran, Iran, against President Donald Trump
November 20, 2018
Ex-CIA Director Hayden to 'Post': Iran looking to outlast Donald Trump

By YONAH JEREMY BOB