Sinai Salafi group says it was behind deadly attack

Ansar Bayt al-Maqdes say attack that killed an Israeli soldier, injured another was carried out in response to anti-Islam film.

By
September 24, 2012 06:07
2 minute read.
IDF soldier Netanel Yahalomi is laid to rest

IDF soldier Netanel Yahalomi is laid to rest in Modi'in 370. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem/The Jerusalem Post)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A Salafi jihadi group based in Sinai and affiliated with al- Qaida claimed responsibility on Sunday for the border attack which killed an IDF soldier on Friday.

The group, Ansar Bait al- Maqdis (Partisans of Jerusalem) said in an online message that it dispatched three gunmen to carry out the attack.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“As the defense of the honor of the messenger of Allah is one of our duties and responsibilities, your brothers...

carried their weapons and became determined to discipline the Jews for their heinous acts,” according to a translation of the message, made available by the US-based SITE Intelligence Group.

The message was a reference to the anti-Islam video released on YouTube earlier this month, which has caused unrest across the Muslim world.

Ansar Bait al-Maqdis also claimed it was behind the firing of two rockets at Eilat in mid-August. It pledged to carry out another attack, at an unspecified time, in revenge for what it said was the killing of a group member in Sinai with the help of Israel.

The group previously claimed responsibility for an attack on a pipeline delivering Egyptian natural gas to Israel.

Meanwhile, IDF Chief of Staff Lt.- Gen. Benny Gantz toured the site of Friday’s attack and warned that terrorism from Sinai would continue to pose a security threat even after the border fence is complete.

“The Sinai border will continue challenging us. We made a great effort in the past two years to close the border, and it is closed – but even when it is closed, the threat does not stop,” Gantz said.


The chief of staff met with the soldiers from the Artillery Corps and the Caracal infantry battalion who shot dead the terrorists, and praised their response.

“We are fighters who protect the borders; there are encounters, and everyone who chose to be a combat soldier knows things like this can happen.

I think that Netanel [Yahalomi, who was killed in the attack], of blessed memory, realized this completely, to the fullest extent.

“Netanel advanced, made contact, fought and was killed; each of you could have been him,” Gantz continued.

“I am sure that if Netanel were here with us, he would say that we must continue the mission.”

Gantz also praised the ongoing security missions carried out by the Caracal Battalion, 60 percent of which is made up of female combatants.

OC Southern Command Maj.-Gen. Tal Russo traveled on Sunday to Soroka University Medical Center in Beersheba to visit a soldier wounded by bomb shrapnel in the incident.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Ofek 1 images of Damascus International Airport
December 9, 2018
Syria state media removes Damascus air strike report, situation unknown

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN