Syrian FM blasts US 'fabrications'

Moallem: US sources have spread rumors on IAF attack in order to justify Israeli act of aggression.

By
October 1, 2007 22:55
2 minute read.
syrian fm 224 ap

syrian fm 224 ap. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Syria's foreign minister on Monday accused "sources in the United States" of fabricating news about the target of a mysterious Israeli attack last month, reported to be either weapons headed for Hizbullah guerrillas or a nascent nuclear installation. In a speech to the UN General Assembly's ministerial meeting, Walid al-Moallem called the "Israeli aggression" proof that the Jewish state wants to escalate. Al-Moallem warned that the failure of the UN Security Council and the international community to condemn "this act of aggression would encourage Israel to persist in this hostile pursuit, and lead to an exacerbation of tensions in the region." "Some sources in the United States have spread rumors and fabricated news in order to justify this act of aggression," Moallem charged. "By distorting the facts they have become Israel's accomplices in this act of aggression." Moallem stressed that peace remains the "strategic choice" of Syria, based on recovering the Golan Heights, but he said "actions and realities" suggest that the Israeli government and the current US administration do not have "the will to make a genuine peace." He indicated that Syria was not prepared at this point to attend a US-sponsored international peace conference this fall, echoing Syrian President Bashar Assad's comments earlier to the BBC. Moallem said "the contemplated substance, approach and objectives" of the peace conference "remain vague." "Furthermore, the proposed gathering fails to identify the purposes, basics, terms of reference and time frames of the process," he said. While there is talk of peace, Moallem said "challenges and tensions are escalating" threatening security and stability not only in the Mideast but also internationally. "The hopes of the peoples of the region in arriving at a just and comprehensive peace and living in a secure and stable environment have faded if not totally died," he said. "Moreover, the current situation in Iraq, and the attendant anger and apprehensions it has generated, have turned the region into a hotbed of tensions and a theater for confrontations." Moallem said the solution in Iraq "must begin with national reconciliation" and include a withdrawal of foreign forces, "subject to the agreement of the Iraqi government." More than 1.6 million Iraqis have fled to Syria, he said, but the assistance Syria has received to help them "is almost negligible." He singled out the United States, which is spending hundreds of billions of dollars on military operations, but he charged that it "fails to allocate any resources to assist Iraqis who have been forced out."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A demonstrator holds picture of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi during a protest in front of Saudi
October 16, 2018
As Trump sends Pompeo to Riyadh, Saudis may acknowledge Khashoggi death

By REUTERS