barghouti poster298 88ap.
(photo credit: AP)
The Palestinian prisoner's document, which was published earlier this month, was drafted by leaders of various Palestinian factions currently being held in Israeli jails.
The 18-point document, known as the National Reconciliation Document, calls for the establishment of an independent Palestinian state in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem, and stresses the right of return for all refugees to their original homes.
The document also calls for the establishment of a new body to coordinate attacks on Israelis within the 1967 borders.
It carries the signatures of Fatah leader Marwan Barghouti, Hamas's Abdel Khalek al-Natsheh, Deputy-head of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, Abdel Rahim Malouh, Mustafa Badarneh of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine and Sheikh Bassam al-Sa'di of Islamic Jihad.
Following is a loose translation of the document's points:
1. The Palestinian people in the homeland and abroad are seeking to liberate their lands and achieve freedom, the right of return and independence, including the establishment of an independent Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital on all the territories occupied in 1967.
2. Developing and reactivating the PLO in line with the 2005 Cairo agreement [between Palestinian factions] by incorporating Hamas and Islamic Jihad into the PLO, which is the sole and legitimate representative of the Palestinian people.
3. The Palestinian people maintain the right to stick to the option of resistance in various methods. Resistance operations should be restricted to the lands that were occupied in 1967, together with political and diplomatic work.
4. The formulation of a comprehensive plan for political moves on the basis of Palestinian national consensus and Arab summit and United Nations resolutions, the PLO platform and fair international proposals.
5. Protecting and consolidating the Palestinian Authority as the core of the future Palestinian state. The higher national interest requires respecting the temporary constitution of the PA, existing laws and the powers of the elected president and government.
6. The establishment of a national unity government for all parliamentary factions, especially Fatah and Hamas.
7. The PLO and its president are responsible for peace negotiations that will be conducted on the basis of adhering to and achieving the national goals of the Palestinians. Any fateful agreement will be brought before the Palestine National Council or to a public referendum for approval.
8. The liberation of all Palestinian prisoners and detainees held by Israel is a sacred duty and should be achieved by all means.
9. Doubling efforts to help the refugees and defend their rights and the formation of a popular body to emphasize the right of return and the need to stick to it.
10. The establishment of a united resistance front that will be called the Palestinian Resistance Front to lead the struggle against occupation.
11. Abiding by democracy and holding free and fair elections for the presidency, the parliament and municipalities.
12. Condemning and rejecting the Israeli and US siege on the Palestinian people and calling on the Arabs to support the PA and the PLO.
13. Promoting Palestinian unity and rallying behind the PA, the president, the PLO and government.
14. Renouncing all forms of dissension and internal strife and banning the use of weapons in internal conflicts and assaults on individuals and property.
15. Searching for ways to improve the participation of our people in the Gaza Strip in achieving freedom and independence.
16. Reforming and developing the Palestinian security forces so that they will be able to defend the homeland and the citizens and face Israeli aggression and enforce law and order.
17. Calling on the Palestinian Legislative Council to pass laws reorganizing the security forces and banning security personnel from political and factional activity.
18. Boosting the efforts and role of international solidarity movements and peace-loving groups that support our people's just struggle against Israeli occupation, settlements and the racist separation wall.