Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu 311 (R).
(photo credit: REUTERS/Umit Bektas)
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Monday advised organizers of a
protest flotilla scheduled to head to Gaza in late June to delay its departure
until the effects of the Rafah crossing opening on Gaza are seen, Turkish daily
Today’s Zaman reported citing a Hürriyet report.
This is the first time
Davutoglu has suggested the flotilla organizers reconsider their plans, the
report said, after he previously rejected international appeals to cancel the
attempt to break the naval blockade.
Lawyers, not IDF, at forefront of battle against flotilla
'US to offer Turkey peace process role to stop flotilla'
'Navy prepared to board flotilla ships if they don't stop'
Last year’s Turkish flotilla to Gaza
resulted in the death of nine Turkish men after Israeli commandos raided the
ship when it refused to stop.
In comments published on
Monday by Hürriyet
, Davutoglu said the Turkish government could not stop the
activities of a “civilian group,” as its work is legal and it is supported
He said, however, that this time the flotilla organizers
should wait to see how the situation in Gaza changes with Egypt’s opening of the
Rafah crossing and the expected creation of a Palestinian unity
“No one should even imagine that the worst-case scenario
could happen,” Davutoglu told Hürriyet
He also called on Israel to do
its part, saying “Israel should wait for the establishment of the new
Palestinian government and then lift the blockade of Gaza.”
officials have said that the navy is prepared to intercept and take control of
ships participating in the new attempt to break the blockade of Gaza.