Turkish military fires on Kurdish rebels inside Iraq

By
December 2, 2007 03:02

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Turkish military has said it fired on a group of 50 to 60 Kurdish rebels inside Iraqi territory, inflicting "significant losses." It did not say whether Turkish troops had crossed the border into Iraq Saturday. The US military said it had no reports of a Turkish incursion across the Iraqi border. And spokesmen for the government of northern Iraq and the rebel group denied that any fighting had taken place. But late Saturday, the Turkish military said the operations target only the PKK and that "they are not against people living in Iraq's north nor against local groups unless they commit an act of enmity against the Turkish Armed Forces." The military said Saturday's operation was the first since it had been authorized to launch a cross-border offensive, and that operations will continue "depending on intelligence gathered." Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Friday that the government had granted authorization to its military to launch a cross-border offensive against Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq at any time.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A general view of the attack during the military parade in Ahvaz, Iran, 2018
September 22, 2018
Iran regime fears foreign support for minority groups after attack

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN