Unknown group says it was behind the Gaza kidnap

By
December 31, 2005 02:13
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A previously unknown group claimed responsibility for the kidnapping of three British citizens in the Gaza Strip and threatened to abduct more foreigners if Israel doesn't end the implentation of a "no-go" zone in the northern Gaza Strip, used in response to continued Kassam rocket attacks on southern Israel. The group, calling itself the Mujahedeen Brigades Jerusalem Branch, issued a statement early Saturday saying that it agreed to release the hostages as a "goodwill gesture" after receiving assurances that Britain and the European Union would seek an end to the Israeli buffer zone. "In case this doesn't happen, the next time we will act differently and the international observers for the next Palestinian elections will be our target," said the statement. The Palestinians are set to hold parliamentary elections on Jan. 25. The Al-Jazeera satellite channel also aired a video issued by the group, showing a masked gunman next to one of the hostages, Kate Burton, a 25-year-old human rights worker. In the video, the group condemns the no-go zone, Israel's targeted killings of Palestinian militants and demanded the release of prisoners held by Israel.

Related Content

August 17, 2018
German Jewish council urges end of Iran-Germany trade

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL