7 activists protesting 'occupation' arrested in Hebron

Evacuation of the seven commences after the refuse to leave of their own accord as requested by police.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
October 25, 2013 19:01
1 minute read.
Abraham

Hebron Machpelah 370. (photo credit: BiblePlaces.com)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Six Israeli activists and one foreign activist were arrested in Hebron on Friday after protesting the pilgrimage that many religious Jews make at this time of year to commemorate the biblical figure of Sarah who is believed to be buried in the Cave of the Patriarchs in the West Bank city.

The activists were arrested for congregating illegally in Gross Square after they refused to evacuate following the police's request.

Sarah's death is commemorated in this week's torah portion which is the reason for the pilgrimage in her honor.

The activists said that they did not disturb the peace and only wanted to set up an alternative "study tent" at the site under the banner "occupation is not my Judaism," Israel Radio reported.

Last month, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Jews in the West Bank city could move into a building next to the spot where a Palestinian sniper killed an Israeli soldier. Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu made the statement just hours after the attack in a statement that spoke of the need to fight terror and support West Bank settlements.

After Netanyahu's announcement, 14 Palestinian families petitioned the High Court of Justice to stop settlers from moving into the three-story building across from the Cave of the Patriarchs.

Approximately 200,000 Palestinians and 800 Jewish settlers live in the southern West Bank city.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD

Cookie Settings