‘Button’ battery left on sofa almost kills toddler

Three-year-old girl from Kiryat Malachi saved by doctors; battery was from her grandmother’s blood-sugar monitor and had been left on the sofa.

By
April 14, 2011 03:33
Magen David Adom (MDA) ambulance

MDA 311. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A three-year-old girl from Kiryat Malachi was saved from severe internal injury and even death last week when doctors at Kaplan Medical Center in Rehovot removed a “button” battery from her stomach.

The battery was from her grandmother’s blood-sugar monitor and had been left on the sofa.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Dr. Michal Korey, head of pediatric gastroenterology at Kaplan, said that when arriving in the emergency room, the child said she had swallowed a shekel coin.

But when X-rays were taken, the object was found to be an alkaline battery – which had started to leak after acid in the stomach wore through the metal casing.

The battery was removed under general anesthesia.

The girl suffered a significant burn in her esophagus, which will required continued treatment.

She was required to fast to enable the tissue to begin recovering, and it will take some time until she can eat normally again.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD