Criminal probe of two Carmel fire suspects closed

Usafia youths suspected of deliberately starting blaze that killed 44 will not face trial; State Attorney's office cites lack of evidence.

November 24, 2011 17:41
1 minute read.
Man surveys Carmel fire at Kibbutz Beit Oren

Carmel Fire 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Nir Elias)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The State Attorney’s Office announced on Thursday that it has ordered the criminal investigation into the Carmel fire to be closed due to lack of sufficient evidence to bring the two suspects to trial.

Police had suspected that two youths aged 13 and 14 from the Druse Usfiya village near Haifa had deliberately caused the blaze last December, in which 44 people died.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Comptroller slams ministers for Carmel fire ‘failures’
Prison officers killed in Carmel fire recognized

Among the victims were 37 prison service cadets and their commanding officers, who died when their bus was engulfed by flames. The fire also caused widespread damage to land and property, totaling millions of shekels. An estimated 1.5 million trees were destroyed in the fire.

A spokesman for the State Attorney’s Office said in a statement late Thursday afternoon that the decision had been made after a thorough investigation, which had reviewed all the evidence police had gathered since the investigation was opened.

The State Attorney’s Office concluded that it was not possible to determine with sufficient certainty the precise course of events that caused the deadly blaze.

“Severe legal and evidential problems,” including the fact that the victims died several hours after the fire started and at a large distance from the original source of the blaze, also led to the decision to close the file, the statement said.


The Haifa District Attorney’s Office notified the victims’ families on Thursday morning that the case had been closed.

Navah Boker, the widow of Lior Boker, a police commander killed in the fire, criticized the decision as “saddening and outrageous.”

Boker was quoted by Army Radio as saying that the decision damages “the ability to deter young people from negligent behavior involving fire.”

Jerusalem Post staff contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night