C'tee OKs compensation for rocket-affected South

Knesset Finance Committee approves full compensation to those who reside within 7 kilometers of the Gaza Strip for missed work.

By NADAV SHEMER
December 4, 2012 23:07
Sderot residents take cover from rockets.

Sderot residents take cover from rockets 390. (photo credit: Amir Cohen / Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The Knesset Finance Committee approved a compensation package on Tuesday for residents and businesses in the South who lost income as a result of Operation Pillar of Defense last month.

Full compensation will be granted to those who reside within 7 kilometers of the Gaza Strip, and missed work between November 14, when the operation began, and November 23, the day after it ended. Parents of children aged 14 and under who live within 40 kilometers of Gaza, who were forced to stay home following the closure of schools, will also be compensated.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Moshe Asher, deputy director of the Israel Tax Authority, told the committee that the ITA has received around 3,300 claims for direct property damage caused by Gazan rockets. Staff have handled around one-third of these claims so far, he said, and compensation has already been sent to those residents’ bank accounts.

Ashdod and Beersheba suffered the most property damage. The ITA has received 1,086 claims from Ashdod – 746 related to buildings and 340 related to vehicles. Beersheba residents have filed 748 claims – 516 for building damage and 232 for vehicle damage.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD