Danino: I expect more arrests in firebombing case

Jerusalem court extends remand by 4 days of 3 suspects, none of whom are older than 13, over firebombing of Palestinian taxi.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 27, 2012 13:59
1 minute read.
Two suspects in firebomb attack in J'lem court

Two suspects in firebomb attack in J'lem court 370. (photo credit: Yonatan Sindel/Flash 90)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Israel Police Inspector General Yochanan Danino said Monday that he expects to make more arrests in the case of the firebombing of a Palestinian taxi that wounded six family members, Israel Radio reported.

During a visit to a school in Nazereth, Danino called the incident "grave" and said it threatens to destabilize a sensitive situation in the area.

Police already detained three suspects - two 12-year-olds and a 13-year-old - all residents of the Bay Ayin settlement in Gush Etzion, south of the capital. The Jerusalem Magistrate's Court on Monday ruled to extend by four days the remands of three minors suspected of involvement in the firebombing of a Palestinian taxi in the West Bank last week.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The judge said that their was significant evidence to justify the extension of the remands and that he viewed the crime as a grave offense. Police did not publicly detail what the evidence was for fear of compromising an ongoing investigation.

The settlement of Bat Ayin condemned violence against what it termed innocents, but rejected any connection to the attack.

"We are certain that none of our residents had a hand in this grave incident, which goes against all human and Jewish values," a statement said.

Tovah Lazaroff, Ben Hartman and Melanie Lidman contributed to this report.

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD