Daphna Carmon’s killers won’t be retried

Two men who raped and murdered 19-year-old soldier in 1987 say police forced them to confess.

September 1, 2011 05:35
2 minute read.
Illustrative photo

Prison jail generic. (photo credit: Courtesy)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Supreme Court rejected an appeal on Wednesday by two men convicted of abducting, raping and murdering a 19-year-old soldier.

Brothers Kamal and Muhammad Sabihi were each sentenced to two consecutive life terms after being found guilty of abduction, rape and murder of Daphna Carmon in 1987, five years after the young woman from Haifa was found dead.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Two other men, Ataf Sabihi and Ahmed Kusli, were also convicted of Carmon’s murder.

Carmon was reported missing by her family on June 11, 1982, when she failed to return home after a day out with a friend.

Three weeks later, her remains were discovered by a shepherd near Usifiya on Mount Carmel. She had been brutally raped, then murdered.

Police struggled to find leads on the case, but three years after the murder, a man named Ahmed Kusli, later convicted for the 1983 murder of 14- year-old Danny Katz, offered to give information in return for turning state witness.

Kusli’s information led police to arrest Kamal and Mohammed Sabihi and their cousin Ataf Sabihi. Alongside Kusli, Ataf Sabihi was also convicted of the murder of Danny Katz.

This is not the first time the Supreme Court has rejected appeals by the Sabihi brothers.

They have requested both an appeal against their conviction and a retrial of the case. That retrial request had been rejected by then-Supreme Court president Aharon Barak.

The Public Defender's Office has claimed, among other things, that core documents were intentionally hidden from the defense during the trial and that testimony of another informant, Ali Ibrahim, was dubious because he had pressured Kamal Sabihi to confess by telling him his father was in prison.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Justice Ministry spokesman said that the Supreme Court had not ignored the fact that there had been various defects in the murder investigation.

“Nevertheless, the court held that there is no place to reconsider following the convictions of the appellants,” the spokesman said.

Supreme Court Justice Edmund Levi said that the decision to reject the appeal had not been simple.

“On the one hand, the appellants submitted new evidence that included information about their interrogation by police,” Levi said. “However, this evidence does not indicate how they came to admit their part in a crime they say they didn’t commit.”

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night