Fire in Tel Aviv District Court delays hearings

Blaze in court archive said to have been sparked by an electrical fault.

July 10, 2011 09:43
1 minute read.
fire Tel Aviv District Court

fire Tel Aviv District Court_311. (photo credit: Joanna Paraszczuk)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A fire in the archives of the Tel Aviv District Court on Sunday resulted in delays in the morning’s scheduled hearings, with some cases being postponed to later dates.

The fire, which started at around 7:30, was discovered by court staff.

Large fire breaks out in Tel Aviv's Shalom tower

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Fire services rushed to the scene and extinguished the fire, but not before dozens of valuable court archive files had been burned.

One court employee was treated at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation.

While proceedings in the adjacent magistrate’s court went ahead as scheduled, the district court remained closed until 10:30, and the hundreds of people who had arrived for the morning’s hearings were asked to remain outside the court building.

After the court reopened, a distinct smell of smoke lingered throughout the building.

Among the proceedings delayed by the fire was the pre-sentencing hearing for the three men convicted of killing Arik Karp on the Tel Baruch beach in Tel Aviv two years ago.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night