Flights resume at Ben Gurion after fuel contamination

Terrorism ruled out as cause; six flights manage to get fans to Maccabi Final Four game in Spain.

May 6, 2011 00:24
1 minute read.
Ben Gurion airport

Ben Gurion airport 311. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Authorities are still waiting for lab results on fuel samples sent to Germany on Thursday night to determine the cause of contamination in the airport’s jet fuel supply.

Though flights resumed a little over 12 hours after being grounded at Ben- Gurion Airport – after contamination was discovered in the airport’s jet fuel supply – airport officials said the cause of the contamination is still unknown. Terrorism has been ruled out as a cause, they said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Editorial: Keep our airport safe

Adar Avisar, spokesman for the Israel Airports Authority, said Saturday that airlines are filling up in Europe or in Larnaka, Cyprus on the way to Israel and those that arrive in Israel without gas are filling up from tankers and other improvised sources at Ben- Gurion.

On Thursday night around 30 tankers were sent from the Pi Glilot gas depot to the airport, where they filled up stranded planes, all of which were able to depart by 3 a.m.

Approximately 1,500 passengers suffered delays because of the cancellations and most of the Israeli passengers expecting to leave on Thursday night stayed at the terminal, while those expected to take off on Friday returned home.

Following the discovery of the contamination on Thursday, National Infrastructures Minister Uzi Landau (Israel Beiteinu) issued a statement calling for the immediate establishment of a commission of inquiry.

Transportation Minister Yisrael Katz (Likud) called the incident “a grievous matter” and called on ministry officials to launch an emergency probe into the contamination. He said clearing the stranded flights was an immediate priority and vowed to ensure the necessary fuel would be supplied.

On Friday morning, six flights left Tel Aviv for Barcelona, allowing stranded Maccabi Tel Aviv fans to make it to Spain to watch the basketball team play in the Euroleague’s Final Four which began that night.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night