General strike continues after overnight talks fail

Treasury and Histadrut representatives talk through the night with no results; basic services remain closed; Egged and Dan buses join strike but trains resume, Ben-Gurion Airport to operate.

February 12, 2012 06:39
1 minute read.
Demonstration in front of Labor Court

Demonstration in front of Labor Court 390. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Litter continued to pile up Sunday morning as the general strike continued into its fifth day, after Histadrut and Treasury representatives failed to reach an agreement overnight regarding the employment of contract workers.

Parties are expected to update Judge Nili Arad, National Labor Court president at 10 a.m. with detailed written arguments on the progress of the talks between them. The court will then decide whether to issue a fresh injunction to terminate the strike

Representatives for the Histadrut and the Finance Ministry met in Jerusalem at 9 p.m. Saturday in an effort to reach an agreement and talked through the night, but produced no results.

Arad ruled late Thursday night that the strike could continue, but that Ben-Gurion Airport and all ports must operate as usual. In her ruling, Arad said that both sides reported making “real progress” in their negotiations, but added that several differences still needed to be resolved.

The open-ended general strike began Wednesday at 6 a.m., shutting down basic services including government offices, banks, trains and institutes of higher education.

Egged and Dan buses, which have operated as usual until now, will join the strike today.

However, trains will resume operations. Buses transporting IDF soldiers from train stations to their bases will operate as usual.

Arad said that in the light of the sincere efforts made by both sides, they should continue to work toward a peaceable end to the conflict. She lifted a three-month injunction on the strike the previous week, saying that there was no choice but to declare that negotiations over the employment status of contract workers had reached a deadlock.

Histadrut Chairman Ofer Eini and Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz spent most of Thursday locked in direct discussion, but two stumbling blocks remained. One was Eini’s demand that contract workers, whose jobs mirror those of directly-employed workers, also be transferred into direct employment. The other was Steinitz’s demand that the Histadrut promise not to declare another industrial dispute for at least four years.

Steinitz has apparently already agreed to Eini’s other demands, including the transfer of some cleaning workers to direct employment, and an increase in the minimum wage from NIS 4,100 to NIS 4,500.

Nadav Shemer and Joanna Paraszczuk contributed to this report

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night