Herzliya spa that caught fire lacked necessary permits

Bank manager killed, two injured in blaze said to be sparked by candle in dry sauna.

By
December 27, 2012 05:50
1 minute read.
Firefighters at Herzliya spa fire site

Firefighters at Herzliya spa fire site 370. (photo credit: Courtesy Tel Aviv District police)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A fire that took the life of a Herzliya man and injured six others Wednesday night was caused by a candle in a spa that lacked both a business permit and a fire permit, fire officials and the Herzliya Municipality said on Thursday.

Yaron Korine, of the Herzliya fire department, said the Delos Spa at the city’s Arena Mall did not have a permit from the fire department and had not passed the relevant tests to receive such a permit.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Korine said fire investigators who returned to the scene on Thursday morning were able to determine that a candle in the dry sauna had caused the fire, which from there spread to other rooms.

Korine said fire personnel had gone from room to room at the spa in order to rescue people who were trapped and suffering from severe smoke inhalation. Those injured included the owner, who was lightly hurt and was being treated for smoke inhalation.

The Herzliya Municipality said on Thursday that the spa had been operating at the site since 2006, and had changed ownership four times. The current proprietor was one of four owners of the spa before it was last sold. At that time it had the necessary permits.

The municipality added that in July the owner renovated the spa and applied for a permit, but did not receive one. He opened the business anyway, the city said.

Tel Aviv Police spokeswoman Orit Friedman said that when the owner is discharged from the hospital, police will question him to establish whether negligence led to the fire.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The dead man was identified as Shalom Bason, a 55- year-old resident of Herzliya and manager of a Bank Hapoalim branch in central Tel Aviv. He was at the spa as part of a leisure day for employees of the branch.

Two other people were seriously injured in the fire, and four were treated for smoke inhalation.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD