Hod Hasharon man lived under dead man’s name

Man arrested after lodging a complaint with police on stolen phones that led to the discovery.

July 15, 2011 06:17
1 minute read.
[illustrative photo]

police arrest handcuffs suspect cops criminal 311 (R). (photo credit: Benoit Tessier / Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A resident of Hod Hasharon was arrested this week after lodging a complaint with police on stolen phones that led to the discovery that he had been living under the name of a dead man, police said on Thursday.

“The officers at Kfar Saba police station thought they saw everything,” a police spokesman said, adding that officers were very surprised by the twist of events.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The man had reported two cellphones stolen on Tuesday while he was out with his young son in a park. The phones were left in a baby stroller and stolen, the man added.

Police located two suspects, aged 16 and 18, from Hebron, and found them in possession of the phones hidden in their underwear. They were arrested, and the man was called to the police station to take down a full testimony from him.

After being asked to provide an ID, officers ran a check of the man’s name and found the identity he was using belonged to another man who immigrated to Israel and died five years ago.

The man was detained on suspicion of identity fraud, and later confessed to paying $400 for the identity.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night