IBA appeals to Supreme Court over Pizem murder broadcast

Since Ronny Ron and Marie Pizem were sentenced last month to life in prison, Channel 1 sees no reason for information to be withheld.

By
July 13, 2011 03:25
1 minute read.
Rose Pizem

Rose Pizem 311. (photo credit: Israel Police [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Since Ronny Ron and Marie Pizem were sentenced last month to life in prison for the murder of four-year-old Rose Pizem – Ron’s granddaughter and Pizem’s daughter – Itai Landsberg, who heads the documentary department at Channel One, sees no reason for information to be withheld from the public. Landsberg said Tuesday that he intends to feature the case in the channel’s True Story series.

His department has been working on the story for over two years, but has been prevented from airing it by a Central District Court ruling which Landsberg hopes the Supreme Court will overturn.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Mother, grandfather get life for murder of Rose Pizem
Grandfather convicted of killing Rose Pizem, 4, in ’08

The highly detailed appeal to the Supreme Court, submitted this week, notes that the public was involved in the search for the little girl when she went missing.

It was not yet known at that time that she was already dead.

“From the moment that her parents abandoned her, she became the child of the public,” said Israel Broadcasting Authority Director Dror Morer.

The Central District Court banned the broadcast on the grounds that it was an invasion of privacy, but the case received such widespread and in-depth coverage that the ruling simply did not make sense to the IBA, the agency said.



Landsberg said it is important for the public to be exposed to the period in which it was asked to help find Rose.

Morer and editor Tzipi Raz and producer Rachel Nechushtai have devoted a great deal of time toward reconstructing and documenting the investigation.

The IBA had hoped to broadcast the series immediately after Ron and Pizem had been sentenced, with the aim of preventing further incidents of this kind, Landsberg said. The case was to be aired in six episodes, disclosing the arrest, investigation and interrogation.

The Petah Tikva District Court sentenced Ron and Pizem, saying Pizem persuaded Ron to kill her daughter, whom he drowned in the Yarkon River in 2008.

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD