Jerusalem police say Eritrean migrant killed by husband

Couple apparently involved in an argument when husband attacks wife as she tries to get on bus; woman dies as result of wounds.

January 25, 2011 10:07
1 minute read.
Illustrative photo

crime scene. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski [illustrative])


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An Eritrean woman in her 20s who was stabbed and killed Monday night in Jerusalem was allegedly attacked by her husband, who is also from Eritrea, according to an initial police investigation on Tuesday.

The stabbing occurred at a bus stop on Rehov Frank in the Bayit Vegan neighborhood.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The couple had apparently argued, and when the woman tried to get on a bus, her husband took out a knife and stabbed her in the neck, stomach and thigh. Magen David Adom paramedics arrived on the scene and administered CPR before evacuating her to Hadassah-University Hospital, Ein Kerem but she died of her wounds during the night.

Police were still searching for the suspect on Tuesday, and the investigation is continuing.

The couple had been in Israel for a number of months and lived in the Mahaneh Yehuda area. They worked for a cleaning company and were married three months ago. The woman allegedly left her husband after he beat her, and went to live with relatives elsewhere in the city. She did not file a complaint.

Jerusalem district police said this was the first incident of violent crime within the foreign worker and migrant community in the capital.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night