Man accused of killing mom to undergo psyche tests

Court extends remand of Roi Ohayon, 25, accused of Kiryat Haim stabbing rampage; suspect reportedly doesn't understand what he's accused of.

May 28, 2013 15:52
2 minute read.

Gavel from Reuters 370. (photo credit: REUTERS/Chip East)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Krayot Magistrate’s Court extended by nine days on Tuesday the remand of a 25-year-old man who stabbed his mother to death, then stabbed and moderately wounded his girlfriend before stabbing two other people that got in his way as he fled police in Kiryat Yam.

Roi Ohana was also sent for a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation, as he is reportedly not aware of the accusations against him.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Speaking to reporters at the courtroom on Wednesday, Ohana’s brother, Chai Orgal, described the pain and confusion the family has been dealing with for the past 24 hours, a burden he said will accompany them for years.

“We’re in shock just like everyone else and we still don’t have any answers,” he said. “We have very mixed feelings. We stand behind my brother and we’ll support him through this. The most painful part of this is that no matter what the legal decision is [in this case], he’ll have to deal with what he did for the rest of his life.”

Orgal said that his brother was very attached to his mother and that “this is a kid who just turned 25, there were no symptoms, no signs whatsoever that could have indicated something like this would happen.” He added that his mother had just gone into remission from her cancer on Sunday, which she had been battling for a year-and-a-half.

Also in the courtroom, court-appointed attorney Rania Sarugi said that Ohana is somewhat more responsive than the day before, but that he still does not seem to understand what he is being accused of doing.

Ohana’s stabbing spree began around 2:15 p.m. on Monday, when Zvulun station police received a call that two women with stab wounds were lying in the entryway of an apartment in the city. As police and paramedics were on their way, they received a call about another stabbing nearby, and quickly realized that the two incidents were linked.

A police helicopter found Ohana shortly thereafter hiding in a field, and informed him that his mother, 54-yearold Batya Ohana, had died of her stab wounds. Ohana’s girlfriend, Shani Yagudnik, was taken to Rambam Medical Center in Haifa in moderate condition, where she remained on Tuesday.

The other two victims were two middle-aged men, one of whom was rear-ended by Ohana and then stabbed when he asked him why he hit his car. The second was a bystander walking by the accident. Both were lightly wounded.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night