New witnesses come forward in Moti Elon trial

Prosecutors say 4 young men who studied under rabbi accused of sexual offenses have agreed to come forward.

By
April 10, 2012 17:43
1 minute read.
Rabbi Mordechai Elon.

Rabbi Mordechai Elon 311. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Jerusalem District prosecutors are seeking to introduce new witnesses in the trial of Rabbi Moti Elon, who has been charged with two counts of sexual offenses against two underage students.

The trial is set to enter the testimony stage next week, and prosecutors have said that four young men who studied under Elon have agreed to come forward with new, allegedly incriminating information.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The offenses are said to have occurred between 2003 and 2005.

Elon, a charismatic and popular figure, has denied any wrongdoing and furiously dismissed allegations of inappropriately touching the students.

When accusations first surfaced in 2010 against the prominent rabbi from the national religious camp, Elon vowed to remain silent. The allegations rocked the national religious world.

In the following year, he issued an official denial, saying any physical contact with students, such as a hug, had been innocent of any dubious motive.

In January of 2011, prosecutors recommended that Attorney-General Yehuda Weinstein place Elon on trial for carrying out indecent acts on two minors.



The prosecutors passed the recommendation on to Weinstein after concluding that the police’s opinion that Elon should stand trial was correct. The police completed their investigation into the allegations in August 2011.

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD