Palestinian petitions Court to probe daughter’s death

Claims that woman died after inhaling tear gas at protest challenged by IDF investigation showing that the woman did not attend the protest.

September 12, 2011 03:08
1 minute read.
Gaza police hold back protesters at Erez crossing

Hamas policemen Palestinian Gaza protes_311. (photo credit: Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Subhiye Abu Rahma, the mother of a woman Palestinians claim died after inhaling tear gas during a West Bank demonstration last December, petitioned the High Court of Justice on Sunday to order a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding her daughter’s death.

The petitioners claim Jawaher Abu Rahma died after breathing a cloud of tear gas fired by the IDF during a demonstration against the West Bank security barrier in Bil’in, 12 km. west of Ramallah.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The petition, filed by Yesh Din – Volunteers for Human Rightson behalf of Subhiye Abu Rahma and members of the Popular Committee Against The Wall in Bil’in, says that after Abu Rahma’s died the Military Advocate-General’s Office refused to open a criminal investigation, and instead informed them that an operational- level investigation into Abu Rahma’s death had shown “no causal connection between the incident and [her] death.”

That left them with no recourse but to ask the High Court to order the IDF to open a full criminal investigation, the petitioners said.

The circumstances surrounding the death of the 36-year-old Bil’in resident remain mired in controversy, with the IDF denying the claims of Palestinians and anti-barrier protesters that Abu Rahma died as a direct result of inhaling tear gas.

In a speech a day after Abu Rahma died, Jonathan Pollak of Anarchists Against the Wall said she had been among the main body of protesters in Bil’in when she was overcome by tear gas.

However, an IDF probe in January into the incident concluded that Abu Rahma had not even attended the protest, but had been inside a house about 500 meters away. The army said that later that day Abu Rahma was evacuated to a Ramallah hospital and treated for an ailment whose nature remained unclear.


According to the IDF’s findings, Abu Rahma died of complications from a medical condition not connected to tear gas.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night