Police arrest 3 at 'Nakba' event 'stand-off' in TA

"Zochrot" organization is prevented from laying posters in Rabin Square showing names of pre-1948 Palestinian villages.

April 26, 2012 12:33
2 minute read.
Activists and police at Zochrot office in Tel Aviv

Activists and police at Zochrot office in Tel Aviv 390. (photo credit: Ben Hartman)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Police arrested three people for disturbing the peace outside the Tel Aviv offices of the Zochrot (“Remembrances”) organization on Wednesday night, during an unusual standoff that took place shortly after the group held an Independence Day event commemorating pre- 1948 Arab villages.

The event consisted of a meeting and a lecture inside the group’s headquarters, a small office inside a converted apartment in a residential building about two blocks away from the main Independence Day celebrations at Rabin Square. Attendees had planned on exiting the building and leaving fliers on the sidewalk and side street outside their offices, which showed the names of Arab villages that existed within the Green Line before the founding of the state.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

When they came downstairs, they said they were told by police that the fliers were “incitement material” and that distributing them would be considered disturbing the peace. Police told them they would only be allowed to leave the building if they left the posters behind and identified themselves to police officers.

A standoff of sorts ensued, and police eventually arrested three people for disturbing police, including one who had arrived from outside the event and was standing in the street reading the names of villages that were in the Tel Aviv area before 1948.

Eitan Bronstein, the spokesman for Zochrot, said that the group has held the event for several years and has never had a problem. He said that they speak to people about the posters and at times there are arguments and some anger directed at them, but said that they had never encountered violence.

When asked if the event could be seen as a provocation, he said that the point of the event was merely to show that “the independence that we are celebrating was won at the expense of the Palestinians who lived here.”

While the building was still barricaded, attorney Gaby Lusky, who represents a number of left-wing activists and organizations, arrived to speak to the police, and said that what they were doing constituted false imprisonment.

She said that the protesters did not legally need to identify themselves, and that police would need to either let them leave or arrest them, not just hold them indefinitely.

By 11 p.m. there were around two dozen riot police at the scene, including two standing in the courtyard in an alley next to the building, to make sure no one exited by sneaking around the back.

The large police presence brought a sizable amount of attention from passersby, who came to check out the group of around a dozen activists holding small placards with the names of Arab villages in Hebrew, English and Arabic.

Most passersby took a quick glance and continued walking, though a few, most seemingly drunk, stopped to speak with activists, occasionally becoming heated, but quickly continuing on their way to Independence Day parties.

One such passerby was a drunk teenager – wearing electric bunny ears and holding a bottle of beer – who spent 30 minutes alternating between arguing with activists, hugging them, dancing, and finally being told by one riot cop that he needed to calm down or risk a charge of disturbing the peace or drunk and disorderly.

By around 2 a.m. police relented and cleared the barricades, and the rest of the protesters left without incident or identifying themselves.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night